MANICTIME APPLICATION TRACKS TIME SPEND

Wednesday, August 26, 2009


Need to find out where all the lost hours spent in front of your computer screen are going? Download ManicTime, a free tracking application for Windows and you'll have a pretty good idea after a few days. Once installed, ManicTime sits in your system tray and monitors your active window. Times are automatically recorded, and blocks can be tagged to help you keep tabs on what type of work you were doing during certain periods. You can also tweak the amount of time before your system is considered idle and customize an application's color. Want to pause tracking? A simple right-click on the system tray icon and you can "go off the record." My chart was a real eye-opener. Obviously I knew that I now spend much of my computing time in my web browser, but I didn't realize just how much. Between keeping up on RSS feeds and other streams like Twitter and FriendFeed, GMail, and the other web apps I utilize nearly 80% of my time is spent in a browser. If ManicTime isn't quite what you were looking for, there's also Slife which runs on both Windows and Mac systems.

0 comments:

Bookmark and Share

ARCHIVE